Next Steps

  1. Contact The Office of Planned Giving at 401-863-9119 or to talk about supporting Brown by setting up a pooled income fund.
  2. Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
  3. If you include Brown in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.

Legal Name: Brown University
Address: Office of Planned Giving
Box 1893, Providence, RI 02912
Federal Tax ID Number: 05-0258809

The Office of
Planned Giving




Sierra J. Rosen
Executive Director
T 1-401-863-3563

Jennifer Cohen
Associate Director
T 1-401-863-9140

Carole Johnston
Trusts & Estates Manager
T 1-401-863-1221

Lisa Logan Ross
T 1-401-863-9119

The Van Wickle Gates Illustration

College Hill Society

Interested in becoming a member of our College Hill Society? Click here to learn more

When Donors Work Together, Everyone Benefits

Pooled Income Funds

If you want to make a major contribution to Brown, consider giving cash, securities or both to our pooled income fund.

How our pooled income fund works. Your gift is added to the fund for investment and managed along with the gifts of other donors. Each year you receive your share of the fund's annual earnings. We agree to pay you this income for the rest of your life.

Your advantages include the following:

  • You acquire an assured source of income for life.
  • You can increase your effective yield on the assets donated and benefit from professional and diversified investment management.
  • You have the choice of determining the size of your initial gift and making additions later.
  • You are entitled to an immediate income tax charitable deduction, if you itemize.
  • You can name another person as successor beneficiary.
  • You feel good knowing that your gift ultimately becomes available to Brown to support our students and programs.

You can benefit even more when you donate appreciated securities you've held for more than one year—no capital gain is taxable to you. And our pooled income fund pays no tax when it sells the securities either.

Make sure you have a plan for all your assets. Download our FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit.Download Kit

A charitable bequest is one or two sentences in your will or living trust that leave to Brown University a specific item, an amount of money, a gift contingent upon certain events or a percentage of your estate.

an individual or organization designated to receive benefits or funds under a will or other contract, such as an insurance policy, trust or retirement plan

"I give to Brown University, a nonprofit corporation currently located at Office of Planned Giving
Box 1893, Providence, RI 02912, or its successor thereto, ______________* [written amount or percentage of the estate or description of property] for its unrestricted use and purpose."

able to be changed or cancelled

A revocable living trust is set up during your lifetime and can be revoked at any time before death. They allow assets held in the trust to pass directly to beneficiaries without probate court proceedings and can also reduce federal estate taxes.

cannot be changed or cancelled

tax on gifts generally paid by the person making the gift rather than the recipient

the original value of an asset, such as stock, before its appreciation or depreciation

the growth in value of an asset like stock or real estate since the original purchase

the price a willing buyer and willing seller can agree on

The person receiving the gift annuity payments.

the part of an estate left after debts, taxes and specific bequests have been paid

a written and properly witnessed legal change to a will

the person named in a will to manage the estate, collect the property, pay any debt, and distribute property according to the will

A donor advised fund is an account that you set up but which is managed by a nonprofit organization. You contribute to the account, which grows tax-free. You can recommend how much (and how often) you want to distribute money from that fund to Brown or other charities. You cannot direct the gifts.

An endowed gift can create a new endowment or add to an existing endowment. The principal of the endowment is invested and a portion of the principal’s earnings are used each year to support our mission.

Tax on the growth in value of an asset—such as real estate or stock—since its original purchase.

Securities, real estate or any other property having a fair market value greater than its original purchase price.

Real estate can be a personal residence, vacation home, timeshare property, farm, commercial property or undeveloped land.

A charitable remainder trust provides you or other named individuals income each year for life or a period not exceeding 20 years from assets you give to the trust you create.

You give assets to a trust that pays our organization set payments for a number of years, which you choose. The longer the length of time, the better the potential tax savings to you. When the term is up, the remaining trust assets go to you, your family or other beneficiaries you select. This is an excellent way to transfer property to family members at a minimal cost.

You fund this type of trust with cash or appreciated assets—and may qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction when you itemize. You can also make additional gifts; each one also qualifies for a tax deduction. The trust pays you, each year, a variable amount based on a fixed percentage of the fair market value of the trust assets. When the trust terminates, the remaining principal goes to Brown as a lump sum.

You fund this trust with cash or appreciated assets—and may qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction when you itemize. Each year the trust pays you or another named individual the same dollar amount you choose at the start. When the trust terminates, the remaining principal goes to Brown as a lump sum.

A beneficiary designation clearly identifies how specific assets will be distributed after your death.

A charitable gift annuity involves a simple contract between you and Brown where you agree to make a gift to Brown and we, in return, agree to pay you (and someone else, if you choose) a fixed amount each year for the rest of your life.

Personal Estate Planning Kit Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the materials for planning your estate.

eBrochure Request Form

Please provide the following information to view the brochure.